Smart City and the Internet of Things are two concepts that go hand in hand. Smart Cities are not understood without the development of IOT (Internet of Things) and, in the same way, the technology that will connect billions of objects needs a test bed and the boost provided by the Smart City. Do you know what the Internet of Things is?
When we talk about the Internet of Things, we are making it one of the pillars of digital transformation, as well as one of the foundations of the digital economy. Connected objects and networks that, thanks to the information they receive from millions of sensors, store and interpret millions of data in seconds (Big Data) and launch orders that make it possible to streamline and automate processes that, until now, were based solely and exclusively on the human interaction Cities connected through millions of intelligent objects that are key to understanding how the urban environments of the 21st century will be. What is the impact of the Internet of Things in the Smart City? What will be the fields of application of this technology in the cities of the future? Here are some key aspects:
- The development and promotion of a new production model, called Industry 4.0 or connected Industry, that will revolutionize traditional production systems.
- The implantation of sensors in the urban environment is essential to boost the efficiency of public services and the reduction of public spending through intelligent management of resources.
- Internet of Things is key to the development of local governance systems and the constant feedback of the opinions and assessments of citizens (smart citizens).
- Smart Cities are committed to models of energy sustainability and intelligent management of resources that can not be understood without the presence of the Internet of Things in the Smart City with examples such as smart buildings or new lighting systems.
- An eAdministration that interacts with citizens and that receives and acts in response to their demands requires tools and objects to guarantee that active listening.
- The management of intelligent mobility through public transport or connected cars and real-time information about everything that happens in the streets and accesses requires the presence of the Internet of Things in the Smart City.
The list of applications and benefits of the Internet of Things in Smart City is endless, but it depends on a commitment to boost all its possibilities, as well as the development of the technical requirements that will take cities to a new level and they will turn into urban environments totally connected and integrated in the concept of digital transformation.
For this reason, it is essential in smart cities to have a powerful management solution to provide support to this variety of interconnected sensors. It should allow managing all IoT devices and centralizing them in one place in order to have easier administration and maintenance and verify that everything is working correctly. Citisim bets on a tool aimed at the detection, search and maintenance of the sensors connected in the city that will be of real use for the administrators and those responsible for the maintenance of the city and combined with the Citizen Reporting solution also implemented in the project, it supposes two competitive advantages against the competition.
Author: Iván Martínez